Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
puddleglum- I was under the impression that if I used the VIN from the donor bike that I would be able to simply register the vehicle as that motorcycle. I'm thinking that they would never even have to know that I've modified the vehicle in anyway. That might not be the correct way to do things, but... it sure sounds good.

vskid3- the reason for the EFI conversion is the total control over the A/F ratio so that I can lean things out when cruising on the highway.

As far as tools go, I have pretty much everything I need. I might pick up a mig welder instead of using my arc welder for cleaner welds. and I don't have a pipe bender, so I'll have to figure something out for that.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
You may have an issue with your plans of using ATV front pieces, as they were never approved for on-road use. With all the red tape involved, you may be better just using a VW beam and upgrading later. Yes, it's heavy, but the components (other than the beam itself) are cheap and you can rest assured that it's road-safe.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big Blue Caravan - '12 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 21.72 mpg (US)
Many ATV front suspensions do not have replaceable ball joints.
Expensive to replace the whole arm. Pick your front suspension carefully.
The brakes on most sport 2wd ATVs are ample for high speed stops.

Many rwd sport ATVs have chain drive and include a reverse.
Engines are in the 250-400 range, most of the small ones air cooled unfortunately.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Man. When I was seventeen my parents had me sign over my paychecks to help with bills--very small bills apparently, and my vehicle was a bike from Walmart.

I was very boring in high school.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Smurf- I'll have to look into the legality a little more, but I was under the impression that I could simply register the vehicle as the donor motorcycle and call it a day

sbestca- I'll be making my own control arms and using my own ball joints. The only ATV parts I'll be using are the uprights/spindles, the hubs, the rotors, and the calipers.

My reason for ATV parts is the weight. The whole spindle/hub/rotor assembly only weighs 5 pounds 15 ounces vs much more for other set-ups. 1.5 for the bolt pattern adapter, 9.7 pounds for VX wheels, 14 for the tires. By the time you're done, you're looking at 31 pounds per corner+ calipers, aero covers, control arms, tie rod ends. You'll have 100 pounds in the front suspension set-up before you even know it.

I'm hoping I can keep the chassis at 100 pounds, but 150 seems more realistic, plus the drivetrain which I'm guessing at 150 and soon you're at 400 pounds which is my goal weight for the completed build. Otherwise, I'll need a bigger engine.

Xist- We're not well off by any means. I don't want to share my life story, but up until recent years, my mom was barely been able to pay the rent at the numerous ****ty apartments that we've lived in. In order to provide my sister and I with a better life, my dad works on the road and I don't see him for usually 6 months at a time. The only reason I have tools to use is because he used to be an auto mechanic so he has quite a collection. And his girlfriend runs a tire shop, so they have a lot of big toys that I can use when I need them.

Don't think I'm spoiled. The whole budget for this build is provided by myself. I also bought my own car, pay the insurance, gas, and repairs. and I pay my portion of the cell phone bill each month. Not exactly tragic, but much more than can be said for most kids my age. There are kids I go to school with who drive BRAND new cars. many are upwards of $35,000.

try getting girls with that competition
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
try getting girls with that competition
Try getting girls with a bicycle. :/

In an episode of "Modern Family," Gloria was worry that Manny obsessed too much with making money and she asked him if he wanted a woman that only loved him for his money.

He responded "I would like the opportunity!"

Money isn't everything, but sometimes not having it feels like you have nothing.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Try getting girls with a bicycle. :/

In an episode of "Modern Family," Gloria was worry that Manny obsessed too much with making money and she asked him if he wanted a woman that only loved him for his money.

He responded "I would like the opportunity!"

Money isn't everything, but sometimes not having it feels like you have nothing.
It's funny that you bring up the bicycle thing. I ride mine quite often because it's good exercise, it's basically free, and I enjoy biking. But sometimes people that I don't even know drive by and scream derogatory terms at me like "faggot", "loser", "*****". They do this simply because I'm riding my bike. Does anyone else experience this?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
It's funny that you bring up the bicycle thing. I ride mine quite often because it's good exercise, it's basically free, and I enjoy biking. But sometimes people that I don't even know drive by and scream derogatory terms at me like "faggot", "loser", "*****". They do this simply because I'm riding my bike. Does anyone else experience this?
I honestly do not remember the last time that I rode my bike. I bought it the first time that gas was over $2.00 a gallon at Costco. I thought that it would be good exercise for school, but my sister said that riding the bus would be safer, and I could study at the same time--at least more than on a bike!

I never had anyone call me names just because I rode a bike, but I have had strangers randomly insult me because they were jerks--whether or not I was on a bike seemed irrelevant.

How often does this happen to you?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

not often, but it still happens. I did a lot of riding over the summer and it happened on 2 separate occasions. once was in a upscale neighborhood so I assumed they look down on bicycle riders and once was on the main street in my city. I ride on the sidewalk, so i don't know what could have irritated them. I was with a fellow cyclist on both occasions, so I don't know if that triggered the responses. I just figured those people have some big problems if they feel the need to insult people that they don't even know.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Not Doug

Indeed. Well, I hope that it does not happen again, and good luck with your trike!

Reply  Post New Thread