Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Aluminum Grill block for insight (more info in thread).

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a feeler on what kind of customer base we have for this. I was at Scott's shop for ~10 hours today, and while I was there, I brought up an idea how an aluminum grill block with a quick-disconnect system. I'll post some pictures of a rough idea of what I'm talking about when I get home from work at 7(PST). I think we are going to end up making them for ourselves, but if there is a consumer base then we will definitely mass produce and sell. It will be a upper and a 2 piece quick disconnect removable lower (1/2 goes over A/C side and other for radiator). Out in Cali we can't block our radiator side even on the coldest nights as its still to 'warm' but, for those of you out east it would help a lot.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
My wife already was hot about me adding the belly pan this weekend. She is worried about me "ghetto-ing it up", even though the it isn't even visible unless you're about 3 inches tall!

I'm really interested in at least a lower grill block, but it would have two requirements for me to buy it:

#1 - It would have to look awesome, like it's oem
#2 - cheap!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
My wife already was hot about me adding the belly pan this weekend. She is worried about me "ghetto-ing it up", even though the it isn't even visible unless you're about 3 inches tall!

I'm really interested in at least a lower grill block, but it would have two requirements for me to buy it:

#1 - It would have to look awesome, like it's oem
#2 - cheap!
No idea on the cost, but we will be offering painted ones if it takes off, and it will look very OEM. Have you seen Scott's belly panel? If not you should go look at it over on IC, it looks way more clean than OEM.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Have you seen Scott's belly panel? If not you should go look at it over on IC, it looks way more clean than OEM.
Yeah, I saw it, and then I made my own, lol! Nobody sees it, so it doesn't matter to me how ghetto it looks, just that it works.

I'm probably too cheap to buy a grill block, but I wouldn't mind fabricating my own lower block if I could make it look legit.
I'd bring it forward - flush with the bumper so it isn't recessed . . . . . I just haven't figured out what material or mounting system I'm going to use yet. I have a week off in the middle of December, I'll probably get to it then.

I think I'll scam off Jedi_sol's WRX grill block design, I like that flush mount look. Just need to find the right materials now . . . .

Last edited by cowmeat; 11-24-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
I'm interested in aluminum blocks in principle, but at this point in my life I'm a bit too cheap to buy things prefabricated.

EDIT: I'll be headed to South Korea next year, and I don't trust leaving a block in place with any of my relatives. I doubt any of them would think to look at the temperature gauge and would inevitably overheat the engine. They can't be relied on to remove it in the summer, or put it back on in the winter.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
A can of great foam, some fiber glass, and wax paper will do it... But the idea is cool.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread