Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eco Storm Chaser

Nemo - '87 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)

K-sight - '02 Honda Insight
90 day: 39.24 mpg (US)
Custom intake manifold

Before we get started out like to apologize for the length of this post, it will be very technical and will take a little effort for me to accurately explain the concept.

OK guys I have a little bit of an idea. I have been working with fiberglass for quite some time now. From what I've been told carbon fiber works almost exactly the same. I had a good bit of experience in molding complex shapes in fiberglass. I feel quite comfortable in the task that I have planned, or thought about. There are quite a few people that have made carbon fiber intake manifolds. I have a spare manifold for my Honda civic. My idea is to custom make an intake that will improve low end torque and increase fuel mileage. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually as.

Even an "exact" replica in carbon fiber would help in a few ways. First off, less heat transfer would yield a colder and take charge. And a mold in carbon fiber would be much smoother opposed to the cast aluminum, Yielding much better flow. Another plus would be weight savings. None of these items are the central idea of my manifold.

Two things that can make a significant change in power, torque, and efficiency are how long the intake runners are, and the speed at which the air is moving past the injectors. For the most part, the faster the air moves past the injectors the more evenly the fuel is distributed. Short intake runners improve up in power, and longer ones and improve low end torque. I am sure that more than a few of you have heard of the " tornado fuel saver", this product has been disproven by quite a few people, but the idea is not completely flawed.

The idea is to incorporate some sort of system within the intake runners that promotes rotational airflow(as in a vortex) which should give some of the benefits of having longer intake runners, and(without decreasing airflow) increase airspeed.

In order to ensure "simple" installation and production the idea is to cut off the mounting flange just behind holes for the injectors. And also cut off the mounting location of the throttle body, IAC and throttle cable mounting location. see attached pictures of below

From there, make the desired internal shape of the manifold from a thick foam that can be cut, molded and shaped easily. Then, place any fittings for vacuum hoses that would be needed in the manifold. Next I would simply coat and a thin layer resin, then the carbon fiber mesh, more resin, carbon fiber mesh, more resin, more carbon fiber mesh.... you get the idea. After it has dried/ has been heat treated, pour gasoline, or acetone or any other substance that will dissolve the foam. Next you could port match the manifold flange very easily, and then finally attach the manifold flange and throttle body via pannle bond, or some other high temperature high strength multi material adhesive.

As for the cost, it will be less than $110.

Again I do apologize for the length of this post. I have been working with fiberglass 4 and 1/2 years, and my dad (who is a professional mechanic, and fabricator) has done task in fiberglass that are much more difficult.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any feedback will be more than appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0309.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	12121   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	12122  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
About 5 years ago I made an intake manifold for my motorcycle using pvc plumbing pipe. Fitting it together using plumbing glue, then wrapping carbon over it. For security I painted the inside with fuel tank sealant. It still works fine.

The plumbing pipe gave me a structure and smooth consistent intake runners. I used the 1.5".

I glued it onto the stock rubber manifold adapters.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 12-28-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Oh you want to read my post on the subject.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...light=super+VE
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Stacygifford (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eco Storm Chaser

Nemo - '87 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)

K-sight - '02 Honda Insight
90 day: 39.24 mpg (US)
Sorry i haven't been on in a few days. Have you seen the online calculators?

runner length

and some of his others
Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

Reply  Post New Thread