Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
E-Fan mod.

Hello everyone.

I know I am putting the cart before the horse here as I am in the process of using the search function and Google to find the answers, but sometimes I am not the most patient of guys, so here it goes.

I am going out to the pick and pull (60 miles) to look for an E-fan from a Taurus to go into my Ranger. Last year the fan clutch locked up so I just removed fan and all. It worked great until this summer. Lots of overheating when idling with the full upper grille block and I have to watch it very closely with the grille block removed. An E-fan seems to be the fix to get my grille block back on and keep the temps in the normal/warm range.

I do have a couple of questions though. It looks like I have to build some sort of relay box to control the fan so it comes on when the engine gets too hot. How hard is this, or can I just mount a 12-volt switch (on the dash maybe) to turn on the fan when needed. I am always looking at my gauges when I am driving to keep my speed in line and the temp gauge is right there. Even when I had the grille block was on, as long as I was moving it didn't get all that overly hot. Idling was the biggest problem. If it isn't all that difficult then I'll just build it.

Moving the "load" onto the alternator must help in the MPG department but would I still be able to underdrive the alternator like FrankLee's setup? That is another mod I would like to try someday.

I'll keep searching but I was hoping to get this project well underway this weekend.

Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ecomodest

The Van - '97 Chevy Astro AWD cargo van
90 day: 14.03 mpg (US)
You could just hook it to a switch. I'd go with a thermostat and relay though to be on the safe side. you could wire in an over ride switch and maybe an LED to remind you you in over ride mod.

Found a schematic for a 2 speed fan, which I believe some of the Taurus fans are.

Make sure it is wired so that only one fan is on at a time , otherwise the life of fan will be shortened ,, use 2 relays ,, Ford used a 75 amp , but 30, 40 and 50 amp have also been used pics courtesy of the web

The 2 relays are Ford Taurus OEM fan relays. The 87A contacts are normally closed. When the van's ignition is switched on, relay #1 is energized and sends power to the 87 contact and on to relay #2. Relay #2 then sends that power to the 87A contact and on to the fan low speed. When the thermostatic switch is activated it will switch the second relay to the 87 contact activating the fan high speed.

To wire the manual on/off switch, add a wire in between the van's switched power wire and the #1 relay. . The LED is wired to the normally closed 87A contact on the #1 relay. Use the relay to cut power to the LED when the van is off, otherwise it will blink when the van is off.

Last edited by Jasen; 08-03-2013 at 12:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jasen For This Useful Post:
nemo (08-03-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread