Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #101 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

One thing i was a little confused about when i built the driver circuit is that on the pcb there are places for resistors that aren't mentioned in the BOM for the vla500 and are not shown on the schematic from powerex. I can get a picture of the board and list the BOM if you'd like, i just don't have it in front of me right now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #102 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Bill of materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac_alaska View Post
One thing i was a little confused about when i built the driver circuit is that on the PCB there are places for resistors that aren't mentioned in the BOM for the VLA500 and are not shown on the schematic from powerex. I can get a picture of the board and list the BOM if you'd like, i just don't have it in front of me right now.
Paul builded the PCB art work based on the Powerex electrical circuit and the corresponding bill of materials was pick based on his lay out.
I was told that he omitted a couple of diodes on purpose because was NOT a need for them.
Post a picture to clarify.
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........

Last edited by mrbigh; 11-14-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #103 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

i found the problem, in the BG2A application notes, the gate resistors are labeled Rg. On the pcb i have, they are labeled R3 and R7. since the name "R3" is already used on the pcb (for the fault feedback resistor) it messes up the naming order for the rest of the resistors. look at the pcb outline pic (component legend, on page 4 of the app note) for where the resistors are supposed to go.

the "missing" diodes is because originally it was 2 diodes in series, but now it's one diode with 1kv voltage blocking

the diodes missing in my pictures of the pcb are simply because i haven't finished the board yet. it wasn't until just now that i figured out my resistor naming problem, so i'll need to switch around a couple of those, as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to isaac_alaska For This Useful Post:
evimarn (11-16-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #104 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi mrbigh,
in what flavours are you shipping the boards ie unpopulated /populated and are all the boards available, also which make of igbts are you suggesting and what is the max battery voltage.Paypal is ok by me.Pardon me loading my queries here but I only have few posts so presently am forbidden to go private.A list of what is needed ie for the complete controller unit such as current sensing and rev sender for the tacho if used by the controller and so on is really appreciated
and oh Thanks and keep up the good work.

Last edited by evimarn; 11-17-2011 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: forgot to thank for the excellent job.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gralewicz View Post
Have you published the schematics?
We have been looking at the same mod at the Milwaukee Makerspace and are thinking of going 1 step further and re-designing the openrevolt board with both MOSFET and IGBT drivers laid out.
The TechShop locations near San Francisco have laser cutters. Perhaps the Makerspace locations do as well. Laser cutters are great to cut solder stencils from inexpensive mylar sheets (overhead projector transparencies). They aren't as good as professional stainless steel stencils, but work fine for hand assembling a few boards with parts down to 0.50mm pin spacing.

Once you can build with surface mount components, you have many great parts available.

We designed our motor controller around the STM32 microcontroller, which has CAN bus, a fast A/D converter with 16 channels, and very flexible pinouts. The controller is run fully isolated, with a Si8421 isolator to the CAN transceiver and a DC-DC converter. The gate driver was on a second board with its own DC-DC converter and a Si8233 isolating gate driver chip.

The interface between the two was the logic-level PWM output, and a 5V supply for the input side of the Si8233. This design makes it easy to switch power stage designs, but was really motivated by our use of counterfeit IR MOSFETs bought on eBay from a Chinese vendor. These bogus parts kept blowing up power stages and gate drivers, and having the gate driver on its own board made it easier to swap and rebuild.

My next design will go back to putting the microcontroller and gate driver on a single board, with both referenced to traction voltage. That allows the internal ADC to directly measure the operating voltages, and opens up many opportunities for better reporting and diagnostics. For instance, accurately detecting the end of precharge, monitoring inductive spikes, and detecting desaturation.

Putting the microcontroller at traction voltage makes *almost* everything simpler. Most signaling already takes place over CAN bus, where the isolation is easy and inexpensive -- the Si8421 adds about $1.25 in parts. The only tricky points are the emergency contactor and the throttle wiring. While the software can accept a CAN throttle (untested), we still use a Bosch TPS. The wiring for this needs to be marked as being at traction voltage.

Last edited by DJBecker; 11-22-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #106 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mrbigh,

Another noob with no PM rights interested in your IGBT driver board kit here. Please PM me.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #107 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also interested. Will these drive two 150amp toshiba igbts in paralell?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyeddy View Post
Also interested. Will these drive two 150amp toshiba igbts in paralell?
What is the part number of the igbt's?

Most likely, these will be severe overkill for driving those modules.

I am able to drive 3 cm400du-12f 400A 600V with a single VLA500-01.

Check out my stuff.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rds-19570.html

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #109 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mg150q2ys50. I just need something that will work.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Yes. These driver boards will easily drive 2 of those modules.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Reply  Post New Thread