Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_deceiver View Post
Having aired up my Winterforce to the max of 44psi and going for a drive in the snow, I can tell you that there is a LOT of grip lost running that high of pressure compared with the recommended 32psi.
I'd suspect that's because the loss of traction is in the snow itself, not in the snow/tire contact. Same for e.g. driving off-road in sand.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (10-22-2015), niky (10-23-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
On winter tires the thread needs to flex a bit to loosen up the snow.
40 PSI in mine works fine with me, but 44 PSI in yours may be too much.
It depends on the tire type, vehicle type, tire wear and of course weather and road conditions.

The rule of thumb is that there is no rule of thumb.
You have to adapt to the situation and be aware of changing conditions and the effect that may have.
Test the grip when you can safely do so, then you know where the limit is and stay well away from that limit when you need to stay on track.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Audi 100 - '90 Audi 100
90 day: 36.28 mpg (US)
Thank all of you for your answers. I'll slightly rise tire pressure, to 2,4-2,5 bars. I just bought an injector cleaner, as I suspect there is some carbon build up on the cylinders, whigh also reduces FE. To prevent this from happening, I'll put my car in a high rpm for little periods of tine.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusi View Post
As the titles says, I'm completally confused. After driving 147,7 km (85% highway 15% urban) and applying ALL hypermileage tips (no AC, windows closed, using cruise control, approx 10 km/h BELOW speed limit, no braking, 5th gear nearly everywhere... And I spent a total of 12.86 L. That is 8.7 l/100km of 95 octane gasoline (27.04 MPG).

I just don't know what am I doing wrong, I drive an american-made Chevrolet Evanda RTX (133 hp). Last week I've got 33 MPG in another trip, and for some reason this one went better than that one I made today.

Any advice?
Just to nitpick: If the Google results I'm getting for Chevrolet Evanda are correct, you drive a car made in South Korea by GM's Daewoo division (although it's branded as a Chevy).

From what I've read about Daewoo products, they tend to do worse than other vehicles in their class for fuel economy. While there are things you can likely still do to improve your fuel economy, your expectations may be a bit high.

They're certainly nice looking cars though, so there's that.

Reply  Post New Thread