Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
VWCw

10 Jetta V - '10 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
Keeping tires inflated

I keep my tires inflated at 50psi. Although I use the work "keep" somewhat loosely. The two front ones have slow leaks. One I top up with air about once a month. I'd say it gets down to about 30psi. The other I should be adding air every week. But I forget, or it gets really cold in my unheated garage in the winter and I just don't want to, and my FE starts to suffer. I don't want to replace the tires yet, they all have pretty good thread left.

My question is this- would a cheap can of Fix-a-Flat solve my problem, and therefore keep my FE up? The only reason that I've been hesitant to try it out is that I've heard the stuff is the devil when putting on new tires later on.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCw View Post
I keep my tires inflated at 50psi. Although I use the work "keep" somewhat loosely. The two front ones have slow leaks. One I top up with air about once a month. I'd say it gets down to about 30psi. The other I should be adding air every week. But I forget, or it gets really cold in my unheated garage in the winter and I just don't want to, and my FE starts to suffer. I don't want to replace the tires yet, they all have pretty good thread left.

My question is this- would a cheap can of Fix-a-Flat solve my problem, and therefore keep my FE up? The only reason that I've been hesitant to try it out is that I've heard the stuff is the devil when putting on new tires later on.
Tire shop.
You can continue to nurse them until you get weary of the ordeal OR you could have the valve stems checked/replaced and/or wheel bead area addressed OR as far as potentially prematurely replacing tires.
I would avoid the gooey fix a stuff unless it is an absolute emergency.(O'dark thirty in the sleet or snow/rain on the roadside with no spare)
To me, it sounds as if you are weary already.
Make your choices and pay your nickels.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

VanDelay - '89 Ford Econoline E-150 XL
90 day: 15.93 mpg (US)

Old White Civic - '98 Honda Civic LX, AT
90 day: 33.18 mpg (US)
Do you perform your own tire installations? Do you use tire spoons to do so? If yes to both, I'd avoid slime brand specifically because yes, it's like glue when it's time to swap tires on my dirtbikes. If you're not dismounting your own tires, I'd use whatever you like to stop the leaks. A pneumatic tire machine isn't going to care if you put something (anything) in there or not, that tire is coming OFF.

A spray bottle of soapy water is a great leak finder and my bet is valve stems or crusty beads.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tire Geek

First, if you don't know why the tires are leaking, then the effectiveness of anything you might do is suspect. So step one is to find where they are leaking. Spray bottle of soap and water works here.

If the tires are leaking at the wheel/tire junction (rim edge), or at the valve or through the wheel (yes, alloy wheels have been known to be porous!), then the slime isn't going to work.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Reply  Post New Thread