Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My new Aerolid!!!

I just got back from meeting up with Bondo to pick up an Aerolid (http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...d-cap-583.html). Whoo-Hoo!!! Unfortunately, on my return trip, I started with a mild tail wind that promptly turned to a quartering tail wind that turned in to a "hold on to the wheel with both hands" crosswind once I hit I-70, so my numbers aren't very representitive yet. Although, FWIW, the last time I had a tank in similar conditions I think I got ~14mpg and was up around 17 in the wind today.

Bondo took a couple pictures when I first got it, and I'll try to get some and post them once it's light again.

At my one gas stop on the way home, I had three guys ask me about the lid. Bondo has aerolid.com registered, but doesn't have a web page up yet - he says in large part because the lids are still in whatever the automotive version of beta testing is called. There has to be someone here on Ecomodder who can help him put together a page that explains the product and says that he's building by hand and trying to ramp up production. I need a sticker on my truck that can point to aerolid.com to help direct all the stares! Is there anyone out there who has better web skills than I do and wants a project?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The sun's up, here's a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	3531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	3532  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hiya,

Looks pretty sweet! Can you also take some pictures of how it attaches to the bed?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Definitely great looking! Looks like it should be there right from the dealership.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
It looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to build an easily detachable boattail that would mount on the lowered tailgate and match shapes with the back of the Aerolid and the bottom of the bumper. The boattail would need integrated tailights that would plug into the trailer electrical jack and a place to mount the license plate. The boattail could be stored inside the bed when not in use.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Wife's Hot Rod - '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Last 3: 23.22 mpg (US)

Big Outback - '13 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Little Outback - '02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
From what I can tell from the pictures it appears of decent quality.

Brett may want to try posting pictures on a Ford truck forum site. He may get some bites from that. He could also talk to a local Ford dealer about making it a dealer installed option if the Aerolid's fit the new trucks. I know dealers used to do stuff like that in the good old days. Work was warranteed thru dealer, parts thru manufacturer. A nice geature would be a hinge similar to a hard tonneau cover so the top rotates to "level". Even though people rarely need the height, they will always want it.

Don
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
From what I can tell from the pictures it appears of decent quality.

Brett may want to try posting pictures on a Ford truck forum site. He may get some bites from that. He could also talk to a local Ford dealer about making it a dealer installed option if the Aerolid's fit the new trucks. I know dealers used to do stuff like that in the good old days. Work was warranteed thru dealer, parts thru manufacturer. A nice geature would be a hinge similar to a hard tonneau cover so the top rotates to "level". Even though people rarely need the height, they will always want it.

Don
When I saw Brett's development cap,it did have the facility to hinge up a bit beyond level.It also had one of the most professionally-executed integrated pop-up tents combined with it.I hope it's okay to talk about that.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

New Aerolid!

Hey round.boater,

Just noticed your post. Glad you are enjoying the lid. Crosswinds are always detrimental to good fuel efficiency. There will be calmer days. Here are some pictures I took of your truck just after we put the lid on it.

You are so right about the web page. It is the next step. Thanks for purchasing serial number 2. I have already started on #3.

It was a pleasure to meet you and best of luck to you after graduation.

Hey Aerohead! Saw your post. Haven't been down to Denton in some time. When I get down that way I'll give you a shout.

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0049_resized.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	3535   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0053_resized.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	3536   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0057_resized.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	3537  
Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hiya,

Looks pretty sweet! Can you also take some pictures of how it attaches to the bed?
I don't have my camera today, I'll try to remember soon. Basically it just uses four standard camper shell clamps, just like any other shell.

And, yes, the lid does lift for access and has tent wall panels so that I can sleep in it. I actually use the camper shell to camp in a decent amount, so that's a priority for me.

Despite the negative reactions on some of the truck forums when Bondo has posted there, I've literally gotten a thumbs up from several "tough trucker" types already.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Looks very classy to me. Impressive. I'll run it by some family that rather "old school" and anti-hippie. Dad owns a trucking company and uncle is a trucker.

Reply  Post New Thread