Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Looks like another NY flood victim to avoid like the plaig has popped up.

Copart

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Cobb (03-22-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I got to rent a Leaf at enterprise, came with the first stage charger in the trunk. I went 60 miles, it supposely had a full charge, said i had 30 miles left when I parked it, but at one point it went down to 17 miles left.

rmay635703, that might of been a bate and switch. You go there, that car was sold, but we have this one...... Ive tried twice to buy a prius 2 package 3 and was just jerked around. The dealer told me I could get a better deal with package 7 or 8 with the hid lamps, juke box, etc, etc, etc, but the sucker price was 30 grand. I told them at the least I expected sticker price or 23 grand tops with taxes and fees.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
That blue leaf sure would make a nice trike conversion :-)
You mean an enclosed tricycle, or an open one?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Starting bid is still at zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Looks like another NY flood victim to avoid like the plaig has popped up.

Copart
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

Hmm - the first one has the desciption

Quote:
2011 Nissan Leaf SL Damaged Salvage Only 13K Miles RUNS Electric Motor Wont Last
Does it mean "won't last" for sale (clearly not the case), or "Motor Won't Last" which is also not entirely true ?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Im gonna bid 500 bones on it.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Im gonna bid 500 bones on it.
Good luck, understand that flood victims make GREAT gliders but don't expect anything else to be all that salvageable (unless you can inspect the thing head to toe)

Most people way overbid on flood victims, be very carefull and calculate exactly how much each bid will actually cost also, I made a chart a while back so I could see what a $500-$5000 bid really was. (AKA you bid $500 you might pay $1k depending on who,how, where, titling, etc)

Cheers
Ryan
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The auctions I watch list the type of damage which caused the vehicle to be totalled. Most flood vehicles go for a fairly high price due to the lack of collision damage and the body parts that are available for resale by junk yards. You can theoretically rebuild 4 cars with one flood damaged car and the parts that are water damaged are not the ones that will sell quick when you consider warranties and the time it takes for the hard parts to wear out.
Sheet metal, front and rear clips, doors and center posts sell fairly quickly. The rest can take 10 years.
Maybe it's Virginia that has laws that require the auctions to disclose specifics that other states do not require.
With salvage cars being created in mass in areas where storms can created them by the thousands, you will see the insurance companies rent out whole airports, just for storage.
My rule is simple, I will know the origin of the cause of salvage and I will inspect the vehicle personally before purchase. The only time I ever broke that rule was when I bought my 94 Civic VX which was sold by a salvage yard after it was disposed of by an insurance company, and the damage was obvious. Virginia required me to submit an estimate of the cost of repairs and told me I could no bring in any other out of state salvage cars to be rebuilt.
In April of 2008 that VX had 27,492 original miles. It was totalled at 2 years age and sat inside a climate controlled environment for 12 years. It even had the original wiper blades that were completely useable and I ran it 10k miles on the 15 year old tires before I replaced them.

regards
Mech
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
The auctions I watch list the damage which caused the vehicle to be totalled. Flood vehicles go for a high price due to the lack of collision damage and the body parts that are available for resale by junk yards. You can theoretically rebuild 4 cars with one flood damaged car
My rule is simple, I will know the origin of the cause of salvage and I will inspect the vehicle personally before purchase.

regards
Mech
I am sure Cobb could care less about having a glider though or selling to junkyards, he probably just wants the EV parts.

I would buy a very cheap salvage miev/leaf/think/volt in a heartbeat if I knew the charger, motor, controllers and batteries were in good shape even if the body was a total loss, completely opposite of your reasoning since I wouldn't have a leaf to be dropping it into

I was thinking a leaf battery and charger with a stepdown buck converter sort of like one of our now defunct favorite hybrid ev conversion places did so I could range extend one of my more obsolete EV's

Cheers
Ryan
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was out bidded, its up to 3500. I can see the "valve cover" has corrison on it, so its likely a total loss like he other electric car a guy here purchased. I just hope he didnt spend too much on it.

A friend of mines bought a flood car. It was a complete mess. All moving parts failed,believe it or not you got a lot of those in a car from the door hinges, door lock, window regulator, seat motors/adjustments, wiper, seat belt retractor I could go on and on.

Reply  Post New Thread