Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
I thought it was pretty cool that someone actually told the public it was safe to over inflate because when I tell most people I go above the manufacturer specs, they tell me I'm going to die from a tire blowout which is not true.
Dear God, the arguments we've had... And only over 45 psi! Most people are under the impression that the tires will explode at anything over 30! What's scary is that many people are running around with just 28 psi on the highway because of this fear... And then they forget to check their pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
They should have rotated the exact same tyres on the same car to illustrate this properly.
Granted, that would have been more scientific... But the vid claims that the "worn" sets were both at half the tread of the newer sets. They did show that a drover can control it, with the BMW portion of the clip, but those were relatively low speed slides.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I'm interested in learning more on this tire pressure stuff. I am rated at 40 on pirelli p zeros and every tank I crank it to 45. Would 60 work? Is my paranoia unfounded?

It seems like my tires like to be no higher than 40. I do 45, a few days later they are at 40. I do 40, almost two weeks later they are at 40. It's been normal weather, and normal driving conditions, but surely other forces matter, too.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
What's scary is that many people are running around with just 28 psi on the highway because of this fear... And then they forget to check their pressures.
Resulting in even lower pressures, more heat into the tyres , and tyres bursting ...

Quote:
Granted, that would have been more scientific... But the vid claims that the "worn" sets were both at half the tread of the newer sets.
It says nothing much about the tyres - were they even the same make and model ?

Testing on 2 different cars also means testing on 2 different sets of shock absorbers, which also have a large influence on handling.

They introduce more variables than the one they want to illustrate.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
It seems like my tires like to be no higher than 40. I do 45, a few days later they are at 40. I do 40, almost two weeks later they are at 40. It's been normal weather, and normal driving conditions, but surely other forces matter, too.
If it weren't on all fours I'd suspect a slow leak somewhere, but 4 slow leaks that leak down to the same pressure seems too much of a coincidence.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
If it weren't on all fours I'd suspect a slow leak somewhere, but 4 slow leaks that leak down to the same pressure seems too much of a coincidence.
My thoughts exactly. I thought they had a safety valve to release extra pressure, but the way it sounds, it seems like it isn't.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread