Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2023, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Velomobiles?

Are any of you up on or owners of velomobiles? Unfortunately, I started the thread and put it in the wrong category in the non fossil fuels. I'm hoping maybe the moderator can move it down here? If not my sincere apologies.

06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Confused me for a moment.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Velomobiles

I have been interested in them for years and would have owned one a long time ago if they were readily available in the states. I was a national level road cyclist, physician, and worked with a handful of national champions and procyclists with cycling biomechanics and injuries. Your numbers are pretty accurate, speed isn't the issue as much as distance and inclines. Aerodynamics quickly give way to the weight on hills. The electric assist is an option on some of the velomobiles.

I would think you should be able to find someone fairly close to you that has one. I thought I had velomobile site for the US that listed groups but I can't find it. There are some UK clubs that have YouTube channels, you will be able to get a lot of information there.

There are some youtube videos from the Netherlands? that show an entire ride with HUD. The speeds for extended rides is pretty incredible.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImS0faKing For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have ordered a .Quattravelo in bright yellow. Hope to get it by years end. I watch Saukki's videos all the time!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 08-21-2023, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There is a velomobile group on Facebook. There are plans for human powered vehicles on recumbents.com. One could make a shell for a long wheelbase recumbent machine. These trikes function best as flat land touring machines if you have a garage.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
Are any of you up on or owners of velomobiles?
I own two.

One is a custom-built electric trike on KMX framekit with a coroplast body shell and full suspension.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ile-39095.html

The other is a Rainforest Designs-made Milan SL I purchased used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I have ordered a .Quattravelo in bright yellow. Hope to get it by years end. I watch Saukki's videos all the time!
While it is one of the slower models available, it will still prove significantly faster than a road bike, and it has the advantage of a rear-wheel flat not causing you to careen out of control, plus lots of cargo space.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

There is also a German pretty active forum on velomobiles, where You can post in English or maybe use deepl): www.velomobilforum.de

BTW: i own two velomobiles: an old GoOne 3 which i am trying to make more efficient, and a few months ago my Leiba Cargo (a two seated velomobile) finally arrived:

https://www.bassic.de/attachments/si...2-jpeg.693987/
Old 04-14-2024, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miles more sustainable than a car (no pun intended) so I approve.

I wish they were more popular so the prices would come down. There's not enough demand to have an efficient assembly line yet. If there was they'd probably be half the price.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_achu View Post
Miles more sustainable than a car (no pun intended) so I approve.

I wish they were more popular so the prices would come down. There's not enough demand to have an efficient assembly line yet. If there was they'd probably be half the price.
There is hope for You.

A new model, the Bülk 4 more, is going to be introduced at the Spezi. Actually the first dealers already have vehicles available.

It is a simplified Bülk, with open wheel wells and made of glass fiber instead of carbon fiber, battery lights and 1x11 gearing. Designed for production in larger quantities. Introductory price 6000 €. Not quite as stiff, not quite as fast, but apparently sufficient.

One of the developers is from the USA. AFAIK he is also a dealer for velomobiles. I do not have any idea on the pricing in the states.

German speaking people or DeepL users might also have a look here: https://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/...lomobil.73113/

And here the official announcement: https://www.velomobileworld.com/de/e...ll-april-2024/

Reply  Post New Thread