EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   What about buying more gas at low prices? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/what-about-buying-more-gas-low-prices-35166.html)

bobdbilder 05-11-2017 09:25 PM

What about buying more gas at low prices?

What if you recycle all those oil bottles and buy more gas when prices are low? Whenever you top up, you could also fill those bottles. You could label them with the prices you paid and keep it in an open or ventilated room. A dry powder extinguisher located close by.

You could either monitor WTI prices or use whatever app available to predict the next oil price.

Instead of relying for pump prices, you could use up your stock when prices hit high. Or at least paying less than what you could have. This is what oil traders do. They either own or lease huge tank farms to fill up with crude and sell at higher prices. This could also mean less trips to gas stations.

Stubby79 05-11-2017 10:03 PM

My time is worth more than would ever be gained by doing such. And besides, gas has a short shelf life and i like it as fresh as possible.

If you want to do this, buy some oil drums. At least it might make it worth the effort.

I'd still not want to store that anywhere near me, though. A seperate, fire-resistant building, perhaps.

ksa8907 05-12-2017 05:46 AM

Above ground storage tank. You'd want to make sure it is shielded from the sun and had some kind of expansion area so it wont draw in moisture or vent off the gas.

Here in america just about every farm has above ground diesel and gas fuel tanks.

oil pan 4 05-12-2017 09:46 AM

Diesel yes.
Gas no.
I saved diesel back in 2006 in oil barrels, kept it until I got ready to move in 2011. Ran great.

roosterk0031 05-12-2017 10:47 AM

Between home and work I have about $0.25 difference in gas, home to closest station is 10 miles. Sometimes I fill a 4 gallon boat tank when I fill my car, with a $8 electric fuel pump and jump pack I pump it into the Rogues. Saved $1 in the price of the gas and 20 miles (2/3 gallon) to go to the gas station.

I'd like to find a bigger tank on a second one cheap.

freebeard 05-12-2017 12:43 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-fr...3-100-0884.jpg

Here's what you want; the NATO/USMC gas can. Note the lever on the left one, it has to be turned and pulled before the lid can open.

redpoint5 05-12-2017 12:44 PM

I buy diesel 500 gallons at a time, when prices are cheap. I store them in 2 above ground containers. Diesel isn't volatile (evaporative), so it doesn't degrade over time. The water that accumulates is heavier than the fuel and isn't absorbed, so it can easily be drained off. The real enemy of diesel is micro-organisms that can grow in it given enough sunlight.

Gasoline is volatile and does absorb water (especially the ethanol part), which makes it a poor product to store for more than about a year.

I think I last paid $2 /gallon for my diesel. Cheap, but at 500 gallons, I still spent $1,000

bobdbilder 05-13-2017 12:22 AM

Well I am currently self employed and do odd jobs. For a week in a month I go cutting grass with a 30cc two stroke weed cutter. Its been raining almost every other day so the grass grow faster and I am kept busy.

So the small amounts of fluctuations do matter. I prefer using a detergent softener bottle as the threads on the cap is longer. I think the longer thread gives better seal against water vapor ingress. As vapor pressure increase, it tends to tighten up the tolerance on the thread. I put a piece of folder paper to the cap to add to the protection.

I tend to think bigger containers are both more hazardous as the vapor builds up more. So I use lots of 5liter bottles. These are used softener/lube oil containers and it helps to recycle them plus I don't have to pay for anything. Currently gas pump prices are at its lowest this year so I am stocking up.

freebeard 05-13-2017 02:30 AM

I once traveled in a country where the highways were lined with kiosks like a farmer's fruit stand, except the shelves were lined with gasoline in whiskey bottles. :eek:

Fingie 05-13-2017 01:40 PM

gasoline becomes bad fast nowadays.

Especially with ethanol.

I stored gas over winter in a shed, the cutters won't run with it, unless wou "water" it out with new gas.