View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Talking

Gosh, I didn't mean to offend you, as I seem to have done. I think my questions are reasonable ones when one considers a low volume car which is no longer in production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you're wrong on several of your points. First, quite a few people want to own those "orphans", as you call them. They're called automobile enthusiasts.
If you really knew me, you'd know that are few greater car entheusists than I. I've owned and competed in sports cars for all my adult life, which is considerable. And I'm fully capable of doing car repairsa, building engines, or many other auto like stuff. But, I don't have the sophisticated test equipment to trouble shoot a modern hybride beyond the simpler problems. I doubt that few do.
Quote:
Second, anyone who actually buys a battery pack from Honda (vs getting it replaced under warranty) must like tossing money away. Much cheaper just to check the internet for a used one.
I already understood that Honda would make a warranty replacement for some specified mileage which I thought was 150,000 miles. If that isn't the number, then give me the correct number. In any case, many of these very desirable cars are getting into high mileage, if my internet shopping is any guide, so the length of warranty is relevant.
Quote:
As for the maintenance, what sensible person trusts auto dealers to do theirs? Especially if you're one of the enthusiasts who're likely to own an Insight, because then you ENJOY doing the work yourself.
I think this a bit elistist if I may say so. Sure, lots of folks do "most" of their own maintenance, including me, but many can't or don't. I have a 300hp Cat powered motorhome with 120,000 miles which has never seen the inside of a professional shop, but it would be very difficult for me to pull the head and do a valve job. I also have a 129,000 mile Echo which only saw the inside of a dealers shop when I mistakenly thought I had a warranty repair. I have two road racing championships with engines that I built and dyno developed, so don't lecture me about doing my own work. You are making loose and incorrect assumptions.
Quote:
And as for the Insight becoming obsolete... Well, I suppose it'll happen someday, but at the rate the mainstream automakers are going, it doesn't seem likely to be any time soon. Is there any other car out there (except the Tesla & Aptera) that gets over 70 mpg, has two seats, and is fun to drive?
I pretty much agree, but how do we define "any time soon?" That was my real question.

I see that you are a fierce defender of the Insight, and rightly so. It is a wonderfully innovative car and I would love to own one.