View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

My only comment is I don't have the assets, the ability or the time to mod my car to make drafting irrelevant.

Even so alot of the time people here claim the idea is to also reduce the total amount of fuel used in total. Drafting off of people decreases their load even if only marginally.

a million times a tiny number is a much bigger number. seriously if it even improves the person in front of you .01% and everyone does it(Atlanta has something like 3 million cars so half of them?) (at just 12,000 miles a year avg of 23 mpg for 2 million users(just the lead car recieving boost from the rear car) Atlanta saves 104400 gallons of fuel. There are over 300 million people in the US and if 1-6 has a car and every other of those has someone following "helping" it saves 1,305,000 gallons of fuel over a year.

Its no small matter. If FE improves for either car a one hundredth of a percent and everyone does it(the stupid way not making smooth chains with safe distances between each, but in pairs) the US uses 1.3 million fewer gallons of fuel.

Now factor in the notion that the rear car is getting an FE improvement and. . .