View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
almightybmw
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Who has cable? Who has a cell phone with a data plan? Who has car payments for a car that requires hypermiling to get good FE? Cup of coffee you bought? buying lunch instead of bringing? I stop now, I sound like treehugger.com.

There are so many things one can cut from their lives--the luxuries--instead of trying to squeak that extra few percent for higher FE. I certainly am not dismissing hypermiling, it's a useful tool. Drafting is part of that. You get can get 115mpg from a 50mpg standard-that's great. Congradulations, seriously. I wish I could do that in either of my vehicles. But I can't, they don't have the equipment for me to get that. So I use all the tools available to me, including drafting. Drafting can increase the mileage on the truck by 2-3mpg. Unsafe? It might be, but for me it isn't. I know my limits and the limits of the vehicles I draft. I don't draft vehicles I think will be unsafe for me or those around me.

If the owner of the video knows his limits, it not impossible for him to hold a camera and draft a bus at a distance. Some people can't, I acknowledge that, but some can. Every drafting thread started on here has naysayers saying drafting is dangerous and bad. It's not. Stop generalizing. It's annoying.