View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I had a couple hours today and it was nice out so I got started on the kammback frame. The angle is pretty close to the teardrop I drew in earlier, plus the measurements on the car were pretty close too, to the nearest inch. The back bar ended up 6 1/2" high instead of 6", I will probably go back and lower it to 6". The long strip is just a piece of flat bar laying there to show the angle. Does it seem like a decent angle, or do think I should make it shallower or steeper?

I plan to finish the kammback by welding a full frame of the 1/8" x 5/8" flat bar that I can get in abundance from the scrap pile at work. This will make it light and rigid.

I was tossing around window ideas, and for starters I plan to stretch a heavy shower curtain liner over it, held on by retainers of the same flat bar. I bought one at Walmart for $6 and they are decently transparent. I may do lexan later on if this ends up working well, and if I have more to spend, they cut the engineering dept to 4 day weeks because things have been slow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamm01.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	3306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamm02.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	3307  

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver