View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
joesgot4 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesgot4 View Post
i'm not very mechnically inclined as far as cars go! i'm an electrician and i'm looking for something new i have a 2006 chevy malibu that gets about 40mpgs running 60mph it has about 70,000 mile on it! k&n air filter,partial grill block,tires are michellin x at 45lbs of air per tire and i drive with eco in mind! what is the best stock new car for the money and mpg? i was thinking of maybe waiting on a fiesta? what yall think?
Ok, that helps. It sounds like you're already doing pretty well in the Malibu. You want to "refresh" your drivetrain for (warrantied?) reliability, yes?

I would give the 2nd gen Insight a look. As jamesqf pointed out, the Honda Hybrids do fine on the freeway (ICE "dominant" hybrid drivetrain). If your business needs storage, give the Pontiac/Toyota Vibe/Matrix a look.

Earlier you said you wanted a 4-door. Does anyone know if the Fiesta will be available in a 4-door?

I like the idea of the Jetta because diesels run forever. My only concern is how well VW supports the non-diesel part of their maintenance. Maybe 5 years ago we looked into getting a GTI. We found that they could end up in the shop for a month while waiting for one part. If VW fixed the parts-supply chain issue, then the Jetta would be another good option. It's the green car of the year for 2009 :

VW Jetta Clean Diesel Wins 2009 Green Car of the Year! | GreenCar.com

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society