View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
skelly
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Nice

re: repository, that becomes high maintenance is the only issue, with permissions and making sure the authors test every last thing and not assume nothing has broken.

Wiki means you get it working once and show as simply as possible how you did it (so no real need for #defines in the examples) and you are pretty much in the clear after that. i.e. when I changed brightness code for vfd, it orphaned many bits of brightness code, but since that wasn't interfering with the hack and would complicate the example, I left those changes out.

Wiki also means any ecomodder can use it by default.

re: fonts, yup only 8 user definable fonts in your standard issue 2x16.
But... Wiki also means that in a year it could be totally out of date. A branch in the repository is just that, a development branch.

Example, I have no idea what you have in 0.80. Sounds like a lot of changes if you manged to shrink the executable by 2k. That said, when 0.80 is posted to the repository maybe I find that you've fixed the same things I have, or you've made a lot of cleanups, or whatever... And now all of my work on 0.75 is useless.

Long and short of it, I would rather not be working on something if I know you're already working on it. I'm using RCS here to track my changes just because it is simple... But when 0.80 is posted into the repository I will have to merge my changes if I want to stay current.

Finally, I want to add that this project kicks ass. This goes for Arduino in general. We really are lucky to have such a hardware platform as open source advocates!! How about cruise control mods (with a second Arduino) based on the MPGuino output? There are so many possibilities!!

I love it. Awesome. Thanks for your work Dave.