View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #83 (permalink)
consaka
EcoModding Lurker

Active Learning - '93 Chevy Suburban Silverado
90 day: 10.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
Boost pressure does not increase fuel. It does allow the injection system to inject more fuel if you have the petal floored. A turbocharger does however get its power from the energy not recovered by the piston. You are correct in that trying to drive with a low amount of boost is an indication of the piston extracting as much power as it can. This does not mean that you should try to prevent your turbo from creating boost via modifications. Boost actually increases the efficiency of a diesel engine by promoting more complete combustion and more heat energy going into the working fluid and less heat energy being lost to the engine block.
The relationship between boost and fuel actually differs depending on the age of the vehicle. Older vehicles took whatever boost they could get. You can have more boost then you actually needed or too little and you would get black smoke. For economy purposes black smoke is verrr bad. Today all these diesels are computer controlled which means the computer will allow fuel to be injected based on what the boost is. This is one reason you so seldom see black smoke pouring out of a new stock diesel. If you do see smoke on a new diesel something is wrong. Either its been chipped, is broken or otherwise modified. Driving with low boost simply means you are driving with less fuel. When I am cruising at freeway speeds I probably am running 3 to 5 lbs of boost BUT I am not necessarily needing that boost so it just adds to my efficiency. BTW my rig is NOT computer controlled but if I drive like it is then I still dont get black smoke. On the other hand I have black smoke on demand.