View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #1044 (permalink)
Wherewolf
EcoModding Lurker

You know....it's kinda funny. In my area, there aren't a lot of guy doing DC motors anymore. I salvaged a DC forklift, and pulled the main traction motor out - found that the armature had grounded out. Burnt the leads off the field windings – oooops! Need to clean the carbon out once in a while…..maybe that’s why I got it CHEEEEP! And 10,000 lbs of scrap metal to boot…..anyway…I took the armature to the local electric shop…they said “Whoa! We can’t turn anything that big… (2 inch shaft - 8 inch diam core, about 18 inches long. Motor weight is 276 lbs) Had to haul it in to 4 different electric motor shops (about 150 miles of driving total) before I found one that could turn and undercut this unit.

Everyone is doing AC only, so there is very little in the way of resources for DC motors here. And they all seem very non-chalant about people doing EV conversions – even though I think it will eventually be a big source of business for them. DC motors need to be pressure washed and baked ; pretty much yearly to keep the carbon dust out, or they load up and ground out. Oh and by the way – the insulated bushings the go though the motor case from the brushes and fields inside to the outside? GE wants $42 A PIECE! Judas jumpin’ up and down, it's BRASS and poly for pity sake! Not Gold! The poor sap working on my armature GAVE me some spares he kept from old motors, because he felt bad about price gouging! I am definitely going back to this guy.! He growled the armature before agreeing to work on it, so he wouldn’t have to charge me if it needed additional repair or was toasted.
If any of you are in southern WA, I would recommend this guy….he’s a straight shooter.

Wherewolf