View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #39 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
joesgot4 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesgot4 View Post
just broke my mpg record in my 2006 malibu(at least 225 mile on a trip) drove about 90% interstate at 55mph and filled up when i arrived home and got a whopping(for my malibu)
47.45833 mpg!wow! old record was about 44mpg! the reason i want a new car is i drive so far and so much i dont want to many miles on my vehicle when i'm 1000 miles from home and i dont want to go through the fix it every week phase!
I think I understand. I'm happy with my 175K mile Saturn for commuting at home because I am close to mechanics I trust. But, I'm not confident enough to take it on road trips. On the road I would be at the mercy of mechanics I don't *know*.

You know your car on a day-to-day basis more than me. It's a tough call to know when you need to pull the plug and get a new car. If you get stuck on the road, how much will it hurt your job standing?

Here is my current equation for comparing old and new cars :

A (low) new car payment of $200 per month * 12 months = $2400 per year

If, for example, I pay up to $2000 in *unscheduled* repairs ($300 so far this year), I still make a $400 profit over owning a new car. This equation doesn't take into account the additional benefits of lower car insurance and DMV renewal fees. If I add those into the equation, it's a triple play for the defense of my wallet.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society