View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #1054 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hey Roger! 48"x48" hehe, ya that'll do. The only reason I do the milling at 1500 rpm is because my machine only goes up to 1500 rpm. It's not a limitation of the drill bits. 1500 isn't the recommended speed. I'm sure 15000 rpm wouldn't hurt them at all. It would probably be better! And allow for faster cutting rates too. When I was using a dremel, it worked fine for etching, and that was like 30000 rpm or something ridiculous.

I got the crystal working. We are officially at 16 MHz! Wow! What is this, 1985? There were lots of weird debugging issues. Man, I love debugging. I never had such weird problems when regular programming. When you start interfacing with the real world, weird stuff happens. For example:

I messed with the fuse bits some like DCB was suggesting. I think that helped. The "optimizations" made the program not work at all. Having too high a sampling rate at 16 MHz made each analog to digital conversion stop half way to it's actual value. It does a successive approximation, and it was stopping too soon, so it wasn't getting all the way down to the correct value. That took a while to figure out. Then the slower, more accurate analog to digital conversion was making me almost run out of time in my interrupt before the next interrupt was going to happen! Makes me mad! But now, each current sample will be when the circuit isn't switching. It will be at the same point of the PWM wave each time. That should allow for much more accurate current readings. However, since I'm re-using the board from the blown up one for my own private version 1.1 to get to the alternative energy fair, things are pretty ugly. I had to remove a few components and add a few others to that junky Radio Shack pcb! Man that was annoying! I didn't have the right resistor values, so I had to solder in random ones that when paralleled with the one that's already there, they are pretty close to what they need to be.

It is tested and working, though. Well, only the low power section. The high power section should be fine.

I sort of want to do Ben's on the 3 ounce pcb, since I have 23 of them, and they are 8"x12", and it's pretty easy to re-enforce the capacitor side by laying down a bit of extra solder and a bit of bare copper wire. My 250 watt soldering gun can melt that crap on there really easily!