View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Try using a water injection system with your lean burn. I've been doing some research and found that it can replace approx 10-12% of the fuel and may also allow you to push lean burn leaner. An added bonus is that it should reduce NOx emissions as well.
If your looking a the typical honda lean burn engine math says you'll want about 16cc/min of water injection, and it will have to be triggered by lean burn engaging via a relay or something. It's my lastest brainstorm to try and get more out of the lean burn setup.
Speculation on why thats beneficial to the engine?

I'm guessing the cylinder is going to go through the saturation dome at some point before ignition and if it does this would drastically cool the cylinder charge.

I suspect the benefit is created because the cooler mix is more flammable than the hot mix(air at temperatures close to oxygen's boiling point is much more flammable)?

Any other reasons?

I'm asking because maybe it can be done more efficiently. Also any potential dangers? As long as the water does stay that long it won't have time to cause/assist in serious oxidation but I suspect it might make the pistons and cylinders more brittle?