View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #46 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
IndyIan -

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
You are joking right? I'm not going to bash them too much, they are nice cars, just no one I know has ever bought two in a row... Usually its some electrical issues that show up even after multiple trips to the dealer that scares them off. Maybe the new one are better but that remains to be seen.
My theory is based on the stereotype/cliches that German engineering is very complicated and therefore needs more TLC. This is ok if you have cheap parts nearby. That means VWs are fine in Germany, i.e. close to home, but can be a pain in the butt here in the USA.

Quote:
On the original topic, I would stick with your Malibu, I was going to recommend a new Cobalt XFE as you might get one for $10k all in these days but if you keep on top of your maintenance the Malibu should last a long time with little chance of a surprise repair. Plus you can get parts anywhere you go and find a mechanic if needed.
VW TDI's are great near major cities but having a break down in almost anywhere in "small town' america might result in waiting for parts and having someone learn while working on your car.
Ian
Ibid. For 4 kids, maybe the Pontiac Vibe would be a good choice. Under the skin it's still a Toyota Matrix aka Corolla, so repairs and maintenance should be affordable.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society