View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #1058 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hey scengineer! You know, I think the most expensive part of the controller is the ripple capacitors. I've been using P11613-ND .

As you can see, they aren't real cheap, but they "have the highest ripple current capability for demanding inverter applications" according to the datasheet. We've been using 24 per controller, which works out to about $50 in capacitors for a single person (rather than from a bulk buy). Getting that down at all would be awesome! Do you guys have "high ripple current capability" capacitors? I'm definitely not married to those capacitors (I'm divorced from them, since they cheated on me with a resistor). Could you check to see if we could get a bulk buy that would beat the digikey ripple capacitors, with the same quality? Thanks for your help! Maybe you could even help us to get the right types of the other capacitors we are using. I'll be posting the updated schematic very soon on our new website (because the dang PDF is too big), and I'll link it to that from here.