View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Playslikepage71 -

Wasn't it true 100+ years ago that obesity was a sign of wealth and status? If I could *afford* to eat a lot, I was showing off my wealth. That made sense in 1900 when the average lifespan was less than 45 years (no consequences!). I look at all over-consumption as extensions of the same need/POV/psychology.

Because my Dad is a diabetic, I have been unintentionally raised to be ambivalent towards food. I literally see it as being something that could just as easily kill me as sustain me. I'm not diabetic, but I assume I am at risk, so the underlying psychology is trenchant in me.

In terms of what I eat, I don't have any rules. I say you can eat anything you want, as long as it's in small portions. If you pig out because of "social eating", then you need to eat less to make up for it the next day.

I am also sympathetic to the "eat less live longer" theory, but I don't have a cohesive argument to back it up. It just "fits" my POV.

Right now I'm 10 lbs over my high school weight of 125, and I think that's 5 lbs too much.

CarloSW2

My father has said, all my life: "Eat to live, don't live to eat."

I pretty much agree about food, with your POV, but for a different reason. I find eating to be a socially disgusting habit, as well as a gross waste of efficiency and time.

(I don't go out with friends so we can watch each other eat.)