View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
My wife's from Madisonville originally, taking the truck into town for shopping meant at least three hours, and several coolers in the back.

Where she grew up, you had the fridge in the kitchen and two freezers in the basement - one for food, and one full of ice to back up the food one when the power went out. Knoxville power outages are measured in hours, Madisonville outages go by days/weeks.
During three snow storms our power was out for more than 6 days. Most people in the area got power back within the 2nd day(the snow melted and power crews could get to work) but the outlying areas had so many trees downed with lines entangled it took them forever to get us back online.

We would also frequently lose power in the middle of the night for trees going down on the lines and wake up late for school with no hot water, water pressure, or lights(lived on the west side of a mountain range so sun didn't come up anywhere near 8:00A.M.).

I grew up in Jonesborough, so ours was alot worse than Johnson City, but not so bad as that.

I'm sure your wife can attest to when she ended up swinging into to pick up things they loaded up and the aforementioned truck was useful(we weren't as far so we didn't need quite that much space)