View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post

When Paul MacCready was talking about the Impact becoming a 80 mpg car,I thought that GM might produce the EV-1 at Spring Hill,Tennessee,instead of the Reatta Craft Center,and build a look-a-like gasoline version on the same line.They sold the Saturn for $13,000 the year the EV-1 was released.It looks like they could have "sold" the EV-1 for $13,000 as well.This was the price of the Peugeot gasoline,and Peugeot EV.GM would have had to lose some of the exotic materials used in the EV,but if the size and shape were maintained,the alloy wheels and LRR tires,the EV would lose very little,and it would be a quantum leap for the gasoline car.Drat! The EPA gives electric cars a CAFE rating of 135 or 185mpg.This would have really helped GM's aggregate CAFE,it would have made them real heroes,and the purchasing public would have a shot at a real 20th-century car.Guess we'll see what Chrysler comes up with.
I'm (obviously) an S-Series Saturn junkie, so the thought of this "what if" story is so depressing. I couldn't justify the EV-1 because of it's range and "boutique" lease agreement, but a "GV-1" would have been verrrrrrryyyyy tempting.

Me sad.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society