View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #60 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Jim I'm calling you out. . .

The Gasoline is created somewhere outside the car as well. And the processing of gasoline creates more pollution than the US electrical grid does to produce that amount of electricity for refinement.

So seriously if you want to evaluate chain its going to put electric way out in front of gassers of any sort.

You either include the chain or you don't. You can't include the chain in one and not the other. End of argument. In pollution and energy lost EV chain wins out in a big way because the amount of power to make the gas comes out of the electric grid so you have to incorporate that if you want to talk about gas and then you start the gas chain where electric vehicles start using the electricity to move, you still have to refine it transport it and then burn it at 30% efficiency.

I've said it before here but gas gets dominated if you include chain effect.

To the OP I think we should just add in miles/kwhr because I think most people here can quickly evaluate that with respect to cost of gasoline and looking a little harder we could compare it with efficiency. Its also in the same units (distance/power instead of power/distance)