View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #1085 (permalink)
Roger Heuckeroth
EV Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post

I'm hoping for 40-50 mile range and freeway speeds. That reminds me: I want to learn how to make professional adapter plates and couplers. The mill probably could do the adapter plates. I don't know how, though.
Paul,

I think Pick-up trucks are the ideal "Lead Sleds". They are made for the weight, have plenty of room for batteries under the bed. Plan on at least 24 T-145s if you want to have a 40-50 mile range.

Adapter plates are tricky. I have heard they that the motor shaft should be within 0.001" of center, but I know quite a few that are not even close to that accuracy, and don't have any issues... yet. My idea is to make the adapter in two pieces. The one piece gets secured to the transmission, The other piece gets bolted onto the motor. Then you mate the two together and run the motor with a 12 V battery. You move the two plates around relative to each other until everything sounds good and you feel the least amount of vibration. Then tack weld the two plates together. You can then finish welding, or use screws to attach the plate together.

I found a very simple was to make a clutch-less bushing using a taper lock gear and the old clutch plate. The taperlock gear is right out of a catalog. I bought it from McMaster Carr for around $60. You can find them for less on Ebay. Then grind off the rivets that hold the clutch hub to the clutch plate, so you have just the inner hub. Then center and attach it to the gear with grade 8 cap screws. I could post some pictures if you want.

Roger