View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #1088 (permalink)
nubie
MAD Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
(I "think"; I'm just a farm boy not a mechanic...) on most transmissions, the input shaft tip (thru the clutch plate) is carried in a pilot bearing or bushing on the flywheel side, so it stays very centered. When you adapt it to an electric motor, that kinda goes away, so my concern is the wear on the input shaft bearing on the transmission - I can see that becoming a leaky problem and wearing quickly with any sideloading or wobbling during rotation. I think I'm going to mill a pilotshaft bearing into the end of my armature shaft, and couple over it, with a carrier bearing on my adapter plate....just thoughts...

Wherewolf
I don't see a problem with getting rid of that bearing, because the input shaft is now coupled directly to the motor, without any clutch. If they don't rotate at different speeds there is no reason to have a bearing.

It also depends on what kind of transmission, if it is a RWD 4 or 5 speed then the input shaft will be supported by a single large bearing and a pilot bearing to the output shaft. Then the "clutch" pilot bearing may be important.

As I say though, I think the electric motor bearing will do fine at supporting it, it isn't like you will have the trans spinning unsupported ever, as it originally did when the clutch was released and it was dealing with the clutch disk.

Most transmissions do have a pilot bearing, but not VW FWD transmissions. It is entertaining because there is a pushrod that travels through the mainshaft on the trans to release the clutch. The clutch is backwards so the pressure plate is bolted to the crank and the flywheel is put on over the friction disk.

Germans are sorta weird, but I think that clutch was only used from 1975-6 through 1999.