View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If you want a power window, keep the driver's side. (I had straps to lift/lower my windows.)

Power locks are worthless, but if you want something cool, remove the locks, leave the solenoids, and connect them to the latch. When you push the button, the door opens.

You'll need to remove the speedlock system though (when you start moving, or put it in gear, the doors lock) as this will cause your doors to open when you put it in gear.

The thing has a 20 gallon gas tank that won't do anything for you anymore... the auto transmission is another worthless piece of weight that would be better replaced with a lighter manual transmission, or at least a 3 speed non electronic automatic. A 2 speed Chevy Powerglide would work great too.

One thing to think about: The car is inherently heavy. You may want to check into what type of suspension you have, things like that... options are the killers for weight, but you're definitely starting w/ a solid RWD chassis.

If you have a sunroof, do you really want it? Even the MIRRORS are heavy on that car, honestly. I was so amazed at all the crap on the Cougar that was under-engineered and followed the "it's heavy, so it must be good" ideology.

Good Luck w/ the project!