View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Junkyard walking is a hobby of mine.. sometimes I scout out parts for people, other times I get small bracketry and stuff and polish them up and sell them to make a few extra bucks.

I often go to junkyards and pull parts for people who pay me to go to the yard and pull/purchase parts for them. I need to find more of those people, b/c they usually pay about a 20-30% gratuity, plus, I get a discount at some junkyards, or can negotiate better prices, so I make even more.

Example -
Engine is $120 + $30 core + 8% tax. I charge $200 total to get an engine from that particular yard, so I'm making:
(150)8% = $162
$200 - $162 = $38

Often times, when I pull an engine, some of the accessories and bracketry get included, which I remove before I bring the engine to the customer. I can usually negotiate the price of the engine down to about $100 + Core/Tax if I'm buying other big-ticket items as well, which adds to the "in my pocket" money. The customer will usually give me the core, which I may fix and sell, return for the core charge (Not likely, I find junk engines free for this), or use/sell parts from it for other engines/customers. Often, I can get the job installing the new engine as well, since the customer doesn't always realize what it takes to put the engine in, when I say "sure, I can pull it" for them.

So - It's not a big deal for me to go to the yard and keep an eye out for one more part... If I see one, it's yours.