View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

My biggest question at the moment is how many/ much internal braces would be required so it did not turn in to a bubble, but stayed shaped more how I'd like it to look. Do you guys think it woud be posable to have all of the braces run paralel to airflow? (reduced drag)

I am considering using pictures of Basjos's car from side, top and using that as a pattern for the top/ sides (scaled to golf size) (and ofcouse if he would give permission).

Considering convertible plastic rear window material for the upper portion to retain visibility(in a final version) Maybe visquine to start.

As far as stiffness goes, I'm not sure where/ how, but I believe that the structure could be greatly enhanced with plywood panels and / or tent poles glued/ sewn in.

And a final thought, wouldn't it be great if it could be collapsed entirely just by sucking the air out? How about using the tension from the top to hold the boat tail from hitting the ground, then having tent poles (or plywood)hinged in 2 (folding so the "V" is inverted) collapse in such a manner that the entire assembly sits between the bumper and the back window?
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon