View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #46 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
Isn't there something about if you have a car and a truck, both have 5 star crash test ratings, but the car weighs 2000lb's and the truck weighs 4000lb's, and they both meet head on in a collision, the people in the car are 8 times more likely to die?
I don't necessarily know if it's 8 times.... But NHTSA and IIHS state that you can not compare crash test data between weight classes. The only test that can be compared across the board is IIHS side impact (the one with the destructive barrier) - see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHS
NOTE: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories, while frontal crash test ratings cannot. This is because the kinetic energy involved in the side impact test depends on the weight and speed of the moving barrier, which are the same in every test. In contrast, the kinetic energy involved in the frontal crash test depends on the speed and weight of the test vehicle.
Based on deaths rated from deadliest to least deadly....

Frontal - Most common single car accident including front offset impact (think tree or pole)
Side Impact
Rear Impact - Most common two car accident for commuters

Rollover is very uncommon (only 3% of all reported crashes)... But, they have a high fatality density. That is, in the unlikely event you get in a rollover - death is more likely.

Quote:
I don't think that at anytime we are gonna get rid of big heavy vehicles, because some people want them for their luxuries, some need them for their hauling capabilities, and we're always gonna have freight. and lets face it... we're always gonna have stankin' rich people who can afford to drive big heavy gas guzzling vehicles! (truck, or no truck. we'll always have those Bugatti veyron drivers lol.)
I don't disagree... And I have no problems with people that use their vehicles for their purpose. My problem is when Jane has to keep up with the Joneses citing large=safety for her Dodge gonna go get a taco piece of farm equipment :/