View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMS View Post
I was also curious, so I bought and inspected a used 2003 Echo Power steering pump. The torque required to turn the pump was so small I needed to use an Inch lbs torque wrench. However I still want to make an aluminum Power steering Pulley if I can get the current one off.
Though I applaud your initiative, I kinda doubt that a "static" test like this is really going to get at the answer. Frictional and hydraulic losses are going to be different at speed. In addition, actually driving a car, with real world turns is a different load situation.

If one drives a car in engine off coasting mode, one notices that it takes very little effort for the small steering inputs required to keep the car straight. But the effort required to make tight turns at low speed is considerably more. So, the actual saving is probably going to depend somewhat on the type of driving one does. It will also differ for different cars.

It would be nice to see some actual ScanGauge test drive results. Maybe I'll do a driving test myself if I can find a good test course and design a good test procedure. Even then, the results would only apply to one car, under one set of conditions.