View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
krousdb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
To pass NC safety inspection, you are required to have an inside mounted rear view mirror and and outside mounted drivers side mirror. It does not mention the size of the mirror. See page 49.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...nforcement.pdf

So it might be nice to have a small mirror molded into the drivers side mirror mount. Either that or cut a section out of the OEM mirror housing, glue it back together and install a smaller mirror surface. It might be fun to try if I was willing to spend $160 on a spare mirror to make the change reversable.
That's why I was thinking of using a bicycle mirror. I do have smaller motorcycle mirrors on my todo list, but they're maybe only 50% smaller, not nearly as small as bicycle mirrors. I did just get this installed :

WRAPAROUND PANORAMIC WIDE-ANGLE MIRROR
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000218469
Click image for larger version

Name:	panoramic_rear_view_mirror.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	362

I basically have zero blind spot now. As you can see in the picture, it even shows both front windows (it feels like I'm watching myself in a Sonic fast food commercial). There is a little distortion at the edges, but it's not an expensive mirror. Because of this, I feel 100% safe to install smaller side view mirrors on the car.

At first I was disappointed when I got it. The original attachment seems to be designed for thinner (1970's style?!?!?) rear view mirrors. The other day I figured out how to remove the original attachment and retrofit my own attachment with zip ties.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 02-17-2008 at 03:52 PM..