View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
My subaru 360, rusty beauty, now how to hypermile?

ll I figured its time to post some pictures of my rusty beauty, I prefer to drive and enjoy as opposed to make a show car.

If I get any results or make some modifications to the car like an underbelly pan for the front I will post them here, thus far here is the mess I've gotten into.

I have lined up someone with the right equipment to weld in some 16 guage flat floor pans because as you can see they just don't look right.

Passenger floor Pictures, Passenger floor Images, Passenger floor Photos, Passenger floor Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The drivers side and all along the rear floor are rusted through quite well, also my rear window must leak into the rear pad as when I was checking my gas tank it was quite wet and musty. Not sure how to remove it either?

Also recently my subaru has been very starved for fuel with a big air bubble in the line, fuel won't even drip out when I remove the line, apparently the very small fitting on the tank is clogged, despite the previous owner saying the tank was recoated, yet another removal I guess, anyone else think these fuel lines look odd? It would be nice if the fuel line from the tank to the filter would be big enough so the rust, dirt, whatever would clog my fuel filter as opposed to the tank fitting?

My exhaust leak I haven't solved yet the boot doesn't meet the air intake properly, not sure if I need a new boot or if the aluminum is just missing and that boot is directly above the leaky exhaust joint, I have reduced how much it leaks but it still leaks and gets sucked up by the fresh air intake, also the fresh air duct doesn't seat correctly against the outside air intake louver, maybe time for some "good stuff" expanding foam and duct tape, someone did mention a gasket for the exhaust I will have to see if I can locate one for the joint between the muffler and decompression chamber. Far as I can tell the heat box isn't leaking, funny part is the faster I go the more exhaust I smell, I would hope it would get swept away, must draft up in.

Apparently on a 2 stroke an exhaust leak saps a lot of mileage and power, I will have to work hard to get it out of the way.

Hopefully my car stays intact, there is lots of surface rust peaking through the seams on the fenders, on the inside of the doors and hinges and the front hood flys open occasionally because the latch is deteriorating.

My mileage hasn't been paticularly good either, probably because of all the fuel delivery problems, 1st was too much to the point gas came out the carb. (bad float) now too little. MPGs vary from 29 up to about 50mpg, (all in town driving) mileage has gotten better as its warmed but the vehicle isn't running right yet so I can't really say what it will end up being. It seems to be around 40ish which is low for this vehicle, I am thinking of covering the underside of the front under where the front hood opening is as it is just a big open area to catch air and make drag (and there isn't anything that needs to breath in there anyway)

Ah what to do what to do. I don't have the cash to restore this right and don't have the tools to do it myself, At least the thing is mechanically running OK save some fuel delivery issues, but what to start on 1st?

Here is a picture of my other Kei car a Miles ZX40 electric mini van, too bad it weighs over a ton, an 1100lb Mystery van converted to electric would probably go further.

Cheers
Ryan