View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #67 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
So...I'm getting an incredible negative response to neutral P&G over at Priuschat.com

First, I am being scolded for neutral coasting because I am wasting the energy of the regen braking by not allowing the car to coast in drive to recharge the battery. I'm being told I'm stressing the battery by increasing the battery's cycles over time and that I'm actually hurting FE by using EV mode to drive the vehicle at speeds 41 mph or less vs. driving it with the ICE. I agree I'm relying on the battery more than the ICE to power the car during some stretches of my drive but I'm getting better mpg in the process. I've never been below 4 bars on the energy screen and almost every time after my commute to work I'm still in the 5-6 bar range.

Second, I was sent a link warning of over-spinning the engine at speeds 65 mph or greater while in neutral (I read it and it did seem to have some merit). Additionaly, I've been told that I should use neutral only when being towed or pushed and never under normal operation of the car. And I quote...

"There is never any reason to put the car in neutral unless you are being towed, or pulled through a car wash, which is a form of being towed.

There is never any benefit to driving the car in neutral.

However, in neutral THE TRACTION BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE and this can be very bad, because if you allow it to discharge completely you are in for very expensive service.

The Prius was designed to combine gas and electric drive systems. When you drive in neutral, aside from getting no power to the wheels, AND HAVING NO POWER IF YOU NEED TO MAKE AN EMERGENCY MANEUVER, you are denying the car the ability to operate was it was designed to do.

Please do not ever drive your Prius in neutral. Use neutral only if you need to be towed or pulled or pushed."

What do you all think about this?