View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
That kind of attitude, there and at GreenHybrid, is what led to the creation of CleanMPG. I'm being diplomatic when I say they're way off base.

Regen is only about 30% efficient once you consider all the conversion losses going to and from the battery pack. Much better to save the energy on the front side. I really don't see how avoiding charge/discharge cycles will do anything negative to the pack.

The car is programmed to target a mid-level battery charge. As the charge gets to the top, it increases the "desire" for it to assist, and as the charge gets low, it really wants to assist. You'll never be able to drain it fully.

The over-spinning the e-motor is a valid issue. That's why the 41 mph engine-on programming exists. It has a large margin of safety, though. On a sample plug-in Prius that Wayne got to drive, they had raised that limit to the motor's actual 60 mph limit.
After I got through all the "pretty up my car" talk on the site and sifted into the actual people that try to maximize mpg's the only real info. I could get was being told to P&G more and use dead band/EV mode less at lower speeds. How does that maximize mpg at all?!?

About the over-spinning the engine...the link I was sent to read about how the Prius engine works is below...over-spinning is addressed in the last paragraph of the section on "Coasting."

Whats Going On As I Drive?

I have a 700 mile trip coming up next week and I was looking forward to finally getting some highway P&G miles under my belt. Now I'm a little afraid to even approach neutral coasting at highway speeds (or at least at 65+...doesn't sound like a good idea at all based on this article...pretty good source...Graham Davies...Prius hypermiling expert).