View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
evolutionmovement
EcoModding Apprentice

The tallest FD you can get with an AWD 5-speed without tearing apart the transmission to change the front differential or converting to fwd (or rwd, I suppose. Would be fun), is 3.900, which you should have. Going to rwd, you could go to the 3.545 rear end from an SVX or WRX, which is also available in LSD. Going to fwd, you could swap in the 3.7 transmission from the fwd 5-speed Legacy. 3.7 rear ends are from older models and could swap in as well, but they're pretty rare now. Either way, 3.9 vs. 3.7 isn't really enough of a change to bother IMO. You could also check out Nissan rear ends (they're the same, but only the R160 will drop in without driveshaft changes) if you convert to rwd as you wouldn't need the front to match. I don't know their ratios well, but I know some of the old Datsun guys use newer Subaru rear ends for the different ratios available. Sticking with AWD, you're pretty much stuck with 3.9 (unless you wanted to go lower, there are 4.11 and 4.44's). AWD is always going to be a bit of a penalty, though the tall top gear in the Subaru makes up for much of it, they'll never be best in class for mileage. IMO, the tank-like build, quality engineering, and ease of maintenance/interchangeability, practicality, all-weather capability, and fun to drive factor make it an easy sacrifice. Best bet is to get gains from aeromodding. I was tossing up an Impreza and a Miata as drastic modding candidates and only chose the Mazda because I don't think I can make the Impreza look good with a half-canopy.