View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Thats why I am suggesting register it in a emissions and regulation lax state(TN is a good candidate but thats kinda far for you). If you have a deed for a motorcycle registered in another state, its likely the people at the DMV will not want to trapes over to the filing cabinets and check and see to make sure it meets the regulations of something different than normal. They will look see you have a title as a rebuilt motorcycle(thats what it will come out as after you register your certificate of destruction along with the VIN onto the new hybrid MC-car) model year(whatever the bike was you "rebuilt") and that is its model year for all intents and purposes.

It is just as good as the vehicle actually having been built in that model year.

Cops pull you over they may not like it but your paperwork is all clear. You have a legitimate title that has been filed, you have your exemption from emissions(I would ask and see if they have a form you can carry with your title to make sure) and as long as you are paying insurance(I think California has liability mandates) you are gold. If you do this I would keep the title accessible when you drive it. Not in the glove box but a copy of the title somewhere in the car(ask your DMV if they can make a certified copy that they would accept(certified copies by anyone else means nothing at the DMV)).