View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
That'll work so long as the driver never gets pulled over, but if they do, and there's a big difference between what the officer sees and what's on the reg, they'll send the vehicle in to see a state ref and let them sort it out.

If we're looking at a small difference, like a 74 vehicle compared to a 76 of the same model, then it'll probably do fine, but if we have a Honda compact car, w/ a motorcycle wheel/suspension/etc in the back instead of whatever wheels/suspension used to be there, and the original engine, registered as a Honda motorcycle from AZ or where ever, they'll probably send to the state ref.
I really don't think so. Most people are not that familiar with cars overall. A police officer that is very familiar with cars will know this is a custom job.

There are two reasons the officer will not do anything about his suspicions that something is amiss.

1.) The vehicle carries a legitimate rebuilt title that checks out when he runs it through his system and states that the Motorcycle was wrecked and then used to be rebuilt(there are no specifications that demand it look or use any of the original parts. I could take a Deed of destruction and slap the VIN on anything with 3 wheels and for all intents and purposes it is the old vehicle.) In essence the officer has no provision to do anything. You are the legal owner of a rebuilt vehicle that matches these specifications.

2.) Its extra paperwork for something that won't count towards his quota and the risk of getting entirely chewed out for irresponsibly harrassing a law-abiding citizen is pretty high.

I'm not proposing the OP do anything illegal or even new. When the officer pulls up the information through his database on his car laptop it will show that its a motorcycle with a deed of destruction-to-rebuilt title, which he will know as I stated that the new vehicle can be whatever it wants and be called the old one.

Now if he leveraged a state that allowed him to register a 4-wheel vehicle as a motorcycle with the same technique he may get in trouble because the officer can clearly see that its got 4 wheels putting it outside MC range in California.