View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #101 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Ernie I have no clue where those numbers supposedly came from(Greet model got it).

But its pretty simply just not right. If you burn a tank of crude(43 gallons) you get roughly 2x as many BTUs as you get burning the diesel and gasoline that come off(if you add in the various other parts like Kerosene you start getting closer to 100%).

Then you have to add in the amount of juice required to refine the gasoline and everythng else. Just to get the gas out it takes 133 kwhrs.

Automatically by this point with just the electricity added in you are way lower than 80%. . . If you add in that alot of the crude is turned into CO2 then you are even lower than that. If you also add in that 49.5% of the electricity created was created at 40% efficiency. . .

well you get the idea.

This is not arm waving. Pick a refinery. divide gallons of output by electrical consumption. I don't care about what it theoretically takes or in a test-bed because my gasoline comes from Texas in a production refinery, so its really the only relevant piece of data.

They brag about their output of each part per barrell of crude and their electrical consumption.