View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #103 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I don't think it is trivial (I think I posted a link to the refinery consumption figures the other day)... But in context of comparing one car to another... It isn't particularly useful - especially when attempting to attract more drivers towards better driving habits.
In that context, neither is including the energy efficiency of electricity production, since what's useful is comparing the energy consumpion of different EVs. If we're comparing total energy consumption, or even relative GHG emissions, between EVs and conventional vehicles, then we need to go off a well to wheels analysis, which definitely adds a bunch of steps, and varies depending on region, but that's just how it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I'm with dcb's motion Because to what end? Can the next discussion be on a conversion factor for motorcycles because they use less tires and therefore there's less tire manufacturing cost/pollution/recycling? It's not that I don't enjoy the discussion (I do) - it's just that every page adds another nuance in the chain
Based on what I've seen, motorcycles eat tires about twice as fast as most cars do, so no, you can't use a conversion factor for 'em.