View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Joseph Davis
Banned

Beater Deluxe v2.0 - '89 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip001 View Post
I just purchased a 91 Civic Wagon myself but mine is 2 wheel drive and automatic. Seems like a light car so I will be interested in seeing what mpg it gets. Any sugestions for modifications? intake, header, port/polish, etc....
Thanks,
Hip
Throw away the poorly designed slushbox, soak up the FE and reliability of a manual transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
If I remember correctly your 4wd civic drivetrain is very similar to the fwd version. So it would be possible to do as you intend. But there seams to be a demand for those models.

If I were you I would try to sell the 4wd and pick up one of the thousands of discarded fwd drivetrains from a racer's engine swap. Kids all over the world are yanking out good economical engines in favor of high output engines. You might even make a profit you could use toward the tube frame you really want.

just an idea. either way good luck.
The 4WD transmission is a dual countershaft set up. Also, you won't pick up a whole lot of mpg from ditching the 4WD setup due to how the drivetrain is designed, but you will completely ruin one of the finest winter snow/ice rides ever made. On H-speed rated budget performance tires they stop and go on steep hills that 4WD trucks, or other over rated inefficient and all around poorly designed garbage like AWD Subarus, lose footing on when trying to maintain a steady speed. This last winter we went sledding all over WNC in a '90 4WD wagon, recreational donuts in the middle of an iced over 25/70 in Madison county, etc.

Also, the "kids" have beaten all of the "high performance" swaps for these year cars into the ground and have had to resort to building the efficiency family of engines. $700 for pistons/rods/machining results in a D16 longblock capable of handling 500 whp, which is half the price or less than a bone stock high mileage overly hyped VTEC motor sells for. Refer to d-series.org, onecamonly.com, turbod16.com, realhomemadeturbo.com. RHMT has coined phrases like "D-series, 10 psi, will turn you out," and "FAKLAD" (F@ck a K-series, Love A D-series) and there's even a profitable niche market for selling tshirts and stickers with these slogans - ibrunclothing.com. Long story short, I can't find SOHC engines/trans like I used to, much less for cheap to free.