View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #79 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
So maybe my words were a little too sharp over at priuschat.com and maybe they were a little too sharp considering the person I was rebutting...but my ecomodder.com posting training is to blame...don't just throw out stats without doing your homework!!! Show me a source!!!

This was a thread detailing the slipping sales of the Prius (March 2009 vs. April 2009 vs. March/April 2008). The founder of priuschat.com "Danny" stated that this April, sales of the Prius were down dramatically from last April sales "before gasoline prices really even started going up."

His post and my response are below...I'm probably on borrowed time over there...

Danny
Admin/Founder
My Car: 2006 Prius
Model:
Package: #8
Friends: 30

Quote:
Last month I told you about the sales slide the Prius saw in March, and today the April numbers were released and actually look WORSE. Toyota sold 8,385 Prius units in April, down from 8,924 units last month. Last April was when sales really started to kick into gear (before gas really even started going up), but this April sales were off a staggering 61% compared to April 2008. 2009 Prius sales are down almost 50% compared to 2008.

Matt Herring
My Car: 2009 Prius
Model: N/A
Package: No Package

Default Re: April Not Any Better For Prius Sales
"Quote: Last month I told you about the sales slide the Prius saw in March, and today the April numbers were released and actually look WORSE. Toyota sold 8,385 Prius units in April, down from 8,924 units last month. Last April was when sales really started to kick into gear (before gas really even started going up), but this April sales were off a staggering 61% compared to April 2008. 2009 Prius sales are down almost 50% compared to 2008.
Read the Full Story"

The statement that last April "sales really started to kick into gear (before gas really even started going up)" is completely false.

Tell me about it...but give me a source to prove it. Below are links to current US average gallon gas cost, last March and last April. Yep, we're in a recession and people are not buying cars as much as they did last year...but...gas had already started going "up" last March and April and it's hasn't even approached those levels with today's prices. As gas approaches $3 a gallon people (and about the same time the Gen 3 Prius comes out...good timing) people will start thinking about buying a hybrid. At $4 a gallon we'll see lines in the parking lots to buy them.

Current US average gallon of gas cost...$2.04
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update

Last March US average gallon of gas cost...$3.16
U.S. gas prices?March 3, 2008: Consumer Reports Cars Blog

Last April US average gallon of gas cost...$3.39
Average gas prices?April 14, 2008: Consumer Reports Cars Blog