View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
If we're comparing total energy consumption, or even relative GHG emissions, between EVs and conventional vehicles, then we need to go off a well to wheels analysis, which definitely adds a bunch of steps, and varies depending on region, but that's just how it is.
Based on what I've seen, motorcycles eat tires about twice as fast as most cars do, so no, you can't use a conversion factor for 'em.
This is why I keep posting that the problem isn't the method so much as it's the metric.

MPG is nowhere near total consumption. It is, however, an easily understood metric by non experts. If we want to consider total consumption - the site would need to change to a more appropriate metric which, I feel, would alienate potential newcomers.

I understand that if we wanted total consumption, we need well to wheels - but well to wheels is a bit off topic based on the OP (but a good topic either way)

Quote:
Based on what I've seen, motorcycles eat tires about twice as fast as most cars do, so no, you can't use a conversion factor for 'em.
Shows I'm not a motorcyclist But I think the point is taken