View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #67 (permalink)
McTimson
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
'98-'02 Corolla's have that problem. It's something with the charcoal canister, it can get messed up if you overfill the tank, so Toyota recommends filling it to the first click. The canister has a pretty good chance of throwing a CEL if you overfill it, but it doesn't really affect performance. And, overfilling it won't instantly throw the CEL, sometimes it takes a while, or even a few overfills to do it. It's a weird system, and very annoying, as Toyota pretty much refuses to offer an easy way of fixing the CEL besides replacing the charcoal canister (~$400).

I guess the only way to get a more accurate result would be to just make the run longer. But then, there would probably be a lot less competitors, because there's probably not too many people who would want to drive 2-300 miles in one day at low speeds.

There was a Passat TDI wagon who started right in front of me, that was probably him. I never caught up to him though, I stayed behind the pair of Vespa's doing 45 for the first half.