View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #134 (permalink)
Concrete
Sequential

The Truck - '00 Chevy S10 Extended Cab
90 day: 22.47 mpg (US)
We see what we want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Honestly I don't see that. Cost per mile the EV's wipe the floor with gas in the real world, by a factor of 2.8 by my reconing. It hasn't been accepted largely because gas is the incumbent. Lots of political machinery and pre-conceptions to keep gas in office, and there's no shortage of people who invest in oil stocks as well (whos judgement IS swayed).

Have you ever tried having a rational discussion with someone who has an addiction? It's kinda like that too.
Umm....
look around - there are no production EVs in the US - is it because they are so efficient?
- people are building them as hobbies (Like I hope to do) & keeping alive a few from the 70s
the conspiracy theories only go so far
in normal supply and demand curves you should start to see EVs in some niche if they are viable
some where they ought to make since for somebody
but like I said - they are even loosing as golf carts

does this happen because golfers like spending 2.8 as much on fuel?
No, it is because they don't make economic sense to the people that need transport
(and I pray we don't loose the EV start ups coming on line to 2$ gas)

Ernie is on the trail of part of the reason this happens
but if a simple conversion is not acceptable for all the fuel logs, better to spin EVs into there own kilowatt hour "fuel" log
because someone is sure to say"I buy carbon offsets, so all of the power I use off the grid comes straight from the organic windmills of Shagri La and therefore there are no coal burning thermodynamic losses charging my batteries!"